Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Salzburg

I loved Salzburg! I think it's my favourite city so far.
Main street shops.
Mozart's birthplace.
The river
View of Residenz-platz
Mozart.
The fort.
Giant chess game in Domplatz.
The lake and the back of the von Trapp family house in the Sound of Music!
The Sound of Music tour was amazing!
The fort. It had funny architecture, because three different dukes/bishops/something lived in it at three different times, and they all expanded the building according to their own wishes.
The front of the movie's von Trapp house.
Where Maria runs when she first goes to the von Trapp's. Here she is singing the "I Have Confidence" song.
Our bus!
The front of the von Trapp house.
The von Trapp house and the trees that the children climbed in their playclothes.
Random: the owner/creator of Red Bull lives in Salzburg. This is the Red Bull HQ, in the Alps.
There's a hotel on the very tip of this mountain!
Wolfgangsee, in the Alps.


Castle in the Alps. It reminded me of Carcassone.
The wedding church from the Sound of Music!
Inside the wedding church--St. Michael's.
Funniest souvenir I've seen so far--a plush, singing/belching beer.
Cafes and shops in the town--Moon Lake--where some of the Sound of Music was filmed (and home to the wedding church.

Our tour bus, again.
Ducks in the Mirabell gardens, where the "Do Re Mi" song was filmed.
Mirabell gardens. There were a lot of coins in this fountain, and a homeless man stripped down to a speedo and took a plastic bag in and started collecting all the money. Interesting? Somebody told me that the coins you throw into the fountain stay there until your wish comes true. Not so, friends, not so.
The hedged archway that Maria and the children run through!


The stairs where Maria teaches the children "Do Re Mi"
The dwarf that Maria and all the children run past and pat on the head!
No big deal, but I touched the same dwarf as Julie Andrews!! It's such an ugly dwarf! In my opinion, it was the ugliest one in the dwarf garden.
Maribell Palace.
Another scene of the movie....
The home Mozart grew up in.
....
Basically, I had an amazing time in Salzburg. I really loved it here, and like I said, it is my favourite city so far. In a couple hours, I will be hopping on a sleeper train to Venice. As of today: 5 countries down, 3 to go, and exactly 3 weeks until I arrive in the Saskatoon airport. Alright!
P.S. Mom--Kim, Jaline, and I had apple strudle today after the Sound of Music tour. It was so tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you tried the apple streudel - and Salzburg looked amazing. I loved the Sound of Music tour alot when we went. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too, visited Salzburg in 1983 and thought it was a most fascinating place. It is another place 'wo mann die Deutsche Sprache brauchen kann'.

    ReplyDelete