Sunday, March 21, 2010

3 Canadians Speaking Spanish in a Korean Hostel in France

The bathroom at the Korean Hostel Kim, Courtney, and I stayed at in Paris. Our flight coming in to Paris was late, and it was quite a gong show finding our hostel. We made it there eventually, though!
The hostel was called "The Gag House"...I do not know why. Possibly a poor English translation? Who knows. It was a fun place though! I enjoyed staying there. They gave us breakfast and supper for free, and it was really tasty and spicy Korean food. They also offered us free wine and beer! Haha. The Korean student from Capernwray who booked this hostel for us also booked it for 3 guys from Capernwray (Kyle, Gisli, and Stephen), so we got to hang out with them this weekend.
Inside the sculpture exhibit at the Louvre. We got into the Louvre for free because we had student visas, so that was sweet!
I thought that Graham might like this sculpture, so I took a picture.
The Louvre was crazy huge! This picture is taken from one wing of the museum, and the building across the courtyard is still more galleries of the Louvre!
The glass pyramid at the Louvre.
I saw this and thought of Hoopla--way to go Lions on bringing home the silver this weekend!
No flash photography!
Me with the Mona Lisa.
Inside the glass pyramid.


Kim, me, and Courtney at the Louvre.

Downtown Paris.
Seine River
Random prints in the market

Cafes. We stopped at the orange one on the left called "Mok'a" and Courtney and I shared a strawberry crepe.
Inside Mok'a
The strawberry crepe and a view of the street.
Look! I'm as tall as Notre Dame!
Notre Dame
Gisli and Kyle doing some pretty serious modelling in front of the Notre Dame.


A street downtown
Awesome double decker train we rode on in the metro. The seats were really comfy!
Eiffel Tower
Kim, Kyle, Gisli, Stephen, and Courtney doing the Chinese tourist pose at the Eiffel Tower.
Me, Kim, and Courtney at the Eiffel Tower
View from the top of the Eiffel Tower--we climbed all the way to the top!
Do you see what I see?
I couldn't resist taking a picture of this guy's facial expression. He was pretty amazed as he looked up to the top of the tower. And he just stood there, for a couple minutes with that same expression on his face! Haha.
View from the top of the tower
I signed the wall on the Eiffel.
Only 6,014 km from Canada...
Watching the sun set from the top of the Eiffel tower.

Me at the Eiffel Tower
The Louis Vuitton store in the shopping district
Arc de Triomphe
...
And now to explain why we were speaking Spanish in a Korean hostel in France...it was actually only Kim. When the owner offered to carry her bag up to her room, her reply was "gracias"...
Needless to say, these French-speaking Koreans got a good laugh out of it.
I had a really busy but great day yesterday. I am in Nice now, and we met up with Jaline at the airport this morning. The weather is cloudy but warm, and I am looking forward to the next couple days here! Time is already going so fast, and I will be home before you know it.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Enjoy your tour. Europe has so much history and so much to see. You are so fortunate to be able to do this with friends. Waiting to see you when you get back.
    Love, Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing you again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Great pictures! The Star Wars-esque one was really great too! Have a doog time gnillevart. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I will have a doog time! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I want to do a coffee at the shop called Mok'a. Sounds wonderful. I can't believe all the things you are seeing and doing. Enjoy and soak it all in.

    Saskatoon - where we are still shivering!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a great place! I didn't try their coffee, but their desserts all looked amazing. I will continue to soak--quaff, even.

    :)

    England--in France.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a great time reminiscing about our European trek just 20 years ago...but I don't think we climbed to the top of the Eiffel tower...I think we were short on time. I hope it wasn't because we were too lazy?! Loved the sunset photos you took from there. See you in 5 weeks! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete