Saturday, October 31, 2009

Edinburgh

Holyrood Palace
Edinburgh castle

View from Edinburgh castle entrance

Close to the University of Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, and the Parliament building.

Arthur's seat. I plan to hike up there tomorrow.

A locked door on The Royal Mile.

The Royal Mile.

Double decker on The Royal Mile

Absolutely stunning traditional Scottish gown--I LOVED it.

National Museum of Scotland. Too bad graduation's over--I could have worn this!

This is the street my bed and breakfast is on.

And again. This street has tons of great shops on it--mainly thrift stores and little food markets. A whole street of Value Villages! So much fun. Don't worry, all I bought was a cute little compact for 1.29.


Huge building with a hotel, shops, and offices on the Northbridge. Beautiful at night! (Which is about 4:30 here!)
...
What I did today:
Got up at 8 for a full Scottish breakfast. It was delicious!
Left the Bed and Breakfast at around 9:45 and went exploring all the shops on Northbridge for a couple hours. I bought a sweater for 5 pounds and a little compact mirror (with a cute design on it) for 1.29.
Then I got a all day bus pass and we (my roommates and I) headed back to the B&B to lock up some of our purchases.
Then we took the bus to Holyrood street, and went into a bunch of the shops there. We also went to the National Museum of Scotland, which is where I tried on that old fashioned purple gown.
Then we went to Holyrood Palace and looked around the outside, but didn't go in.
We hung out in the park for a while, close to the university, parliament buildings, Arthur's Seat, and Holyrood Palace.
From there we went to the other end of the downtown area by bus and went to Edinburgh Castle. We didn't go in because it was closing in an hour, so we plan to go back there tomorrow.
Then we went to the National Art Museum and saw some AMAZING art--they had quite a few Van Gogh's and Raphael's.
Then we went across the city again by bus to a little underground restaurant called "The Basement". Great food!
From there we headed back to the B&B. We were planning to look at some more stores on Princes Street (which has a lot of very posh shopping), but most were already closed. We plan to go back to Princes Street tomorrow.
It was a very busy day, but it was a lot of fun!

4 comments:

  1. How far away from your school is Edinburgh? Did you go with your 5 other "flat mates"? England just suits you so well, Erika. The shopping, the clothes, the art...
    Keep enjoying!

    A. Dawna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about 3 hours by bus. I'm staying at the B&B with 3 of my "flat mates". We've had a lot of fun exploring the city! England and Edinburgh are both great; there's so much to see. I will keep enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your having a great time Erika! The pictures are really cool and I like them alot!
    :)

    Your cuzin Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mike! I am having a good time!

    ReplyDelete